Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)

Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2) - Stacia Kane Ugh this series... this book just makes me feel so many emotions. For me, this is very intense and dark. Most def not a light feel good story. But still so very, very good.

Overall this is the story of a fucking kickass woman with some magical powers over ghosts. I love Chess, she's smart and very good at her job. Unfortunately she's also very wounded and that's the other part of the story. She's a drug addict and I was in tears when she was going through withdrawals. Part of me wants to smack her and shake her until she realizes how amazing she is and how she keeps fucking up her life because of the drugs. The other part wants to just hold her until she feels whole again.

The underlying story is the love disaster between Chess, Terrible and Lex. I love Terrible. He understands Chess. Anyone who makes you feel like this: "The sight of him eased something in her chest, made her smile." is someone worth having in your life. Especially since said man will kick the ass of whoever dares breathe funny around you. “Shit. I want you, Chess. Make no mistake on that one, dig? Want you bad. So bad I ain’t even can think of any else sometimes, ’cept gettin you under me. Ain’t give a fuck what pills you swallow get you through the day or what happens you ain’t got em, aye? Still want you.” He has seen her at her best and worst.

Lex is an intriguing character. I like him, he took a beating for Chess and still came to her aid. But he doesn't understand her. Not the way Terrible does. I cringed and couldn't read fast enough when Terrible finds Chess and Lex. My heart broke for Terrible.

No idea where this story will go but I can't wait to find out.