Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, Book 4)

Summer Knight - Jim Butcher After Grave Peril, I was a little hesitant to pick up the next Dresden book. Not because I don't like the story, but because book 3 was very dark and sad. The bottom line is that Jim Butcher is an amazing story teller. He has a talent for bringing to life his world and his hero in a way that few authors can. The story begins months after Susan has left and he is heartbroken and desparate to find a cure to Susan's pending vampirism. Meanwhile, his current life is falling apart. It takes a pending faery war, a werewolf named Billy and some characters from his past to snap him out of his funk and realize that he is needed and needs to get his shit together asap.

I finally started liking Murphy. She hasn't been a favorite of mine but in this she came through and showed a caring and dare I say - softer side. Harry's wit and sarcarm are still there and I had to laugh at loud at times. My only complaint is on the pacing. Sometimes the story seemed to drag. As usual, I cried at the end. I think I have cried at the end of every Dresden book so far. Again a testament to Butcher and his ability to make you care about the characters, even minor ones.