The Maze Runner (Maze Runner Trilogy, Book 1)

The Maze Runner - James Dashner This book was a reminder to me that sometimes I have to ignore reviews and just read the book myself. I was curious about this story but hesitant. Most people seemed to complain about how complex and annoying the language was and how dull the beginning was. I'll admit that I wasn't instantly enraptured in the story but I think that had more to do with my state of mind than the writing. The language was really NOT complicated. The author just found subtle ways to use curse words like fuck (shuck) and shit (klunk). By chapter 4 I was enthralled and from there it was full speed.

If you're looking for a YA novel with romance and love, this isn't it. Well at least not the traditional type of love. In this story we meet Thomas and a crew of teenage boys who clearly care for each other. They have no idea where they are, who they are or how to get out. All they know is that they need to survive and help each other. The relationship between Thomas and Chuck was sweet & heartbreaking.

At the end I was left with more questions than answers and I'm extremely grateful that all books are published now. I'm realizing that this trilogy is a maze itself and a puzzle that won't be resolved until book 3. Or at least I hope!