Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His Fair Assassin Trilogy)

Grave Mercy - Robin LaFevers I have given this book 5 stars except I didn't like the ending. It felt too rushed and left me with many unanswered questions. Overall, I enjoyed it! Ismae has had a rough childhood and has always been mistreated because of the mark on her back that marks her as the offspring of Death - Mortain. After her father forces her to into marriage she is rescued by a group of nuns that are trained in the art of death.

I did grow weary of Ismae's behavior towards men. I understood where she was coming from but it got annoying. A man couldn’t even look at her without her flinching and wanting to reach for a knife and kill them. I get that this was part of her inner conflict and something she had to come to peace with (and does) but it did get annoying. Duval was everything you'd want in a hero, and loved how he interacted with Ismae. Some reviews complain about there not being enough action but I thought there was enough action and at no time did I feel like Ismae didn't live up to her reputation as death's mistress.

Well done except I didn't like the ending and apparently the next book is about another character. I HOPE that Ismae and Duval make another appearance and we learn what's become of them.