Heart of Iron

Heart of Iron - Bec McMaster 3.5 stars.

Lena wasn't my favorite character in [b:Kiss of Steel|13507512|Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)|Bec McMaster|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1344055795s/13507512.jpg|19058959]. She came across as spoiled and bratty to me. However, it was obvious that she was smart. This story picks up 3-4 years later. Lena has left Blade and Honoria's home in Whitechapel and is the ward of their half-brother Leo. She's determined to find safety as the thrall of a blue blood. Will is torn by the memories of a flirtatious girl that affects him like no other woman has. He is feared as the Beast of Whitechapel and one of Blade's main men.

The back and forth between Will and Lena got tiresome. Perhaps it was explained before, but I didn't fully understand why Will was keeping his distance from Lena until about halfway. It also wasn't until a couple of chapters in that the reason why Lena was mad at Will was explained. Although Lena's job was to be a spy, it seemed that not even she understood what/who she was spying for which is one of the main problems I had with the story. Could be that I just wasn't paying attention but Lena's carelesness and stubborn desire to be independent just kept getting her in trouble for what seemed no real reason.

I will say that when Will and Lena finally get together it was beautiful and there were parts that made me misty eyed. It was lovely to see for a change two virgins find love.

McMaster also has a created a very vivid world full of grit, soot and beautiful imagery. Loved that we met the Verwulfen. Wish we would've spent more time with the Scandinavians and the shifter world instead of the blood suckers.