Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)

Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1) - Aimee Carter Didn't love it. Didn't hate it. Liked it enough to read book 2 but not sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for it.

This was a slow start. It didn't pick up until about 25% into the story and that was mainly because we were introduced to a new character, Knox. I liked Knox, but like with many of the characters, we didn't really get to know him. Kitty was a bit bland and something else that I still can't put a name to. The story itself was interesting but with WAY too many twists and turns. I lost track of who is backstabbing who and supposed to doing what. Then there is Benjy. In many ways he is the perfect match for Kitty just because he was also really bland. That's actually the other problem, not enough character development. I didn't feel connected to any of the characters enough to feel bad about them possibly getting killed or hurt. At certain moments I thought maybe the story and the characters would develop to something more only to have them stay flat and have the story take yet another sharp turn. Could've been great, but it turned out just so-so in my opinion.